Tuesday, March 07, 2006

cats in the cradle

disclaimer: i think cats are nice and sweet....from a distance...but in egypt, it's another story...

egypt is filled with stray cats that make strange noises, live in the trash and eat bloodied bones. my theory is that many of these cats are jinns. people think i've become obsessed with jinns...maybe i have but to tell you the truth, i'm quite infatuated with the whole other invisible being living parallel to us.

the other day, i'm in the apartment by myself and decide to go to the bookstore to buy a notebook. the unreliable elevator isn't working so i begin to descend 8 flights of steps....

on the 7th floor is a malnourished black & gray striped cat eating out of the trash. it sees me and runs down the stairs. nothing unusual....i descend a couple more flights. on the 5th floor, i meet another cat. this one's big, fat, disheveled and dirty white. the black & gray one runs behind the dirty white one for shelter. the white one just stares at me. it doesn't move. i'm like 8 steps away from it. it doesn't even show a hint of fear of me. i try to use hand gestures, leg gestures and make weird sounds to shoo it away. nothing. instead, it ASCENDS a step! it's in that 'i'm ready to pounce on you, you dirty human!' position. i freak out and run gracefully up a flight of stairs. then i look down at the cat and we have a staring competition for like 3 minutes. i lose. it starts to climb up towards me and i run all the way up to my apartment and slam the door shut. so much for buying my notebook.

after about 30 minutes, i decide to venture out again. i open the door only to find the big white cat by the elevator! it starts running towards me and i slam the door with such force and intensity that all the windows shake. my heart starts pounding...beads of sweat begin pouring down my forehead. this cat is evil, i think. it knows where i live! it was waiting for me to come out again! i look out my peep hole and think the coast is clear. i crack open the door just a wee bit and the cat's head is right by my door! it was trying to break into my apartment! i slammed the door shut and sat on the floor frustrated with my back leaning against the door, head down, arms folded around my knees. i had to accept my fate...that stupid cat made me a prisoner in my own home.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you mate! The cats here are really strange...are they really cats...who knows?

(I love the titles for your posts!)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shameful Sarwath, defaming the reputation of all cats based on your one experience!!! Xena and Little One will not be happy with you when I tell them how mean you were to that poor kitty. What if the poor bicharee kitty got hurt when you slammed the door? Did you even think about that? It was probably hungry and wanted food (and no, I don't mean you). You should go feed like 20 stray cats to make up for your silly behavior that day. :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Mariamazmi said...

no, no - these cats are EVIL. I used to love cats, but Sarwath's right, there's deffinately something wrong with the cats here.They wail at night, sounding exactly like babies crying in an attempt to lure you out of your house.
Yesterday I was trapped walking down the stairs by 3 cats, no less. They started coming towards me so I had to go back - the bullies.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Tamanna said...

All cats are evil...I've known for a long time.

I can imagine me doing exactly the same in that situation.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that cat sounded really scary! it's strange that it came running to you like that, sounds like a nighmare... i'd have done the same...

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home