Monday, March 06, 2006

introduction

assalaam-alaikum. ismee tharwa. ana min amrika. al aan, ana askoon fi misr lee adrus al-lughat al-arabiya.

yes, that's right. i'm in egypt now studying the arabic language. i've been here for about 5 months now and should have started this blog then but i was too lazy and didn't really know about blogs till i started living with my ex-roommate, "bikey". she was completely obsessed with blogging and perhaps now, i may fill her shoes. anyway, i'm fulfilling my life long dream of studying arabic in an arab country. i've had many adventures since i've been here....both good and bad. i'm sure i'll continue to have more and will share them with you. i'm excited about this and hope that this will be a good forum to keep in touch with everyone.

let me introduce you to a few characters first:

naveed: my roommate from england. we take calligraphy together and she was the one who saw my living conditions before (i was living in the living room out of my suitcase in my old apt. when i first came to egypt) and she offered me refuge.

"bikey": ex-roommate from england. she is obsessed with blogging and you can read about some of my previous adventures on her blog starting from november. she went back to england and from there will further her arabic studies in another arab country. but naveed and i are hoping that she'll change her mind and return to cairo. she's kinda like that.

"cow": bikey's little sister who just arrived in cairo a couple of weeks ago and is living with us now. she'll be here for about 3 months. she's as cute as a cow.

rania: she's from england and is crashing at our place for about a month before she finds an apt. to stay in. she's iraqi and she studied hindi/urdu in jaipur, india for like 6 months. she can speak better urdu than me!!! actually, that's not saying much since i've been told i don't really know how to speak urdu. but she speaks so well and so proper!! i'm envious of her but in a good way. this has motivated me to study urdu...maybe when i return to chicago.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mariamazmi said...

yay!

Welcome welcome welcome to the world of blogging. warning: it's addictive.

Bikey will be very excited to have you on board.

I'm going to enjoy reading this blog.

ws

the cow

2:24 AM  
Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

Tharwaaaaaa wahashtuni awi awi awi!!! I'm so glad you started a blog - your life will never be the same again ;)

Salam to all,
Bikes

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am feeling a bit left out, maybe I should start a blog...I just wanted to comment on the fateful day when we met in the street on my search for dates...the start of a beautiful friendship!!! (Oh...i just remembered the time before that when we met and I asked you if you wanted to live with me and Bikey and you looked at me and said, 'No' and you looked at me as if to say 'as if i would want to do that!! La Ba's)

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

salaam sarru,

this is a very nice idea. nice way to keep us updated! can u post pics too?

i like ur cat story.....you know i would have gone up to the cat and pet it....the white cat just wanted a friend. you didn't have to categorize it as an 'evil' cat ;)
love anjum

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ismi Fadhila. Ana min Chicago. Ana siddiqui Tharwa wa awwal arabiya study partner fi jaamiya Oakton.

So for those of you who don't understand my broken Arabic, I was Sarwath's first Arabic study partner in Chicago, and encouraged her to make her dream of going abroad a reality (even if I couldn't join her)!!! So don't be making any claims on my friend, who seems to have forgotten all about me now that she's acquired new friends and roomies in Cairo! I used to get like 3 or 4 emails from her each day. Now I'm lucky if I even get one email a week :) No, Alh. it's great to see Sarwath so fluent in Arabic masha'Allah and making new friends and going on new adventures.

I was supposed to visit her in Cairo while she was there, but alas, it probably won't happen b/f she leaves. However, I intend on bringing Sarwath back later this year (possibly December) insha'Allah to give me a guided tour of Egypt. So don't fret ppl, she will be back insha'Allah. I'm sure she'll leave her heart behind in Cairo and will have to return to reclaim it :)

Anyhoo, glad to hear you're doing well Tharwa. Put some of those fabulous pics up...particularly the one of Ms. Misriya 2006 :) You know the one I'm talking about :)

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw sarwath, i actually understood your entire first sentence...so maybe I'm not a total lost cause afterall...pray that Allah gives me this opportunity soon too i'A.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Sarwath, I have no doubt you can master Arabic at the highest level (i'A), but I don't have the same hopes for you where the Urdu language is concerned. Dude, you butcher the language!!!! Stick with what you can excell at :)

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home